On a snowy Wednesday night after a lengthy road trip, the Grizzlies got a number of reinforcements from Colorado to bolster a very injury depleted roster. Forward Grayson Downing and defenseman Sergei Boikov made their Utah debuts, while Julien Nantel returned as well. Kevin Carr made the start against the Idaho Steelheads.
- Downing looks like he’s gonna be fun to have around.
- Nantel wastes no time at all getting back on the board! 1-0 Utah 2:09 in from Turner Ottenbreit and Josh Dickinson!
- Getting two penalties together is not ideal. Good kill though.
- The beginning of that power play started well. It did not end that way though.
- Well, we get a redo!
- Jake Marchment did not miss that tip in by much.
- Teigan Zahn to the box with about six to go. Utah did a good job giving the Steelheads trouble getting out of the zone.
- Idaho ties it up and Zahn and Keegan Kanzig drop the gloves.
- Josh Anderson has had a couple of nice defensive moves this period.
- Shots are 12-6 for Utah, but we’re tied 1-1.
- Power play Utah 17 seconds in.
- Liking Boikov’s play. Very calm and polished.
- Not a great power play so far. Not a lot of urgency, and Idaho has two shots to Utah’s one thus far.
- Very nice move by Richart to take away the puck just above the blue paint.
- Another pair of nice plays by Anderson. He’s looking very good.
- Not wild about how much defensive zone time there has been in the first five minutes.
- Yeesh, that was close.
- The second half of this period has been much better for Utah.
- THAT’S TWO FOR NANTEL!! Walters with the pass from the boards to give the Grizzlies a 2-1 lead on the power play! Dickinson gets the second assist!
- Both 11s run afoul of each other. Looked like Richart might have gotten clipped in the face by Dahl’s skate.
- Kanzig looks like he’s trying to take on Ottenbreit and Anderson at the same time there.
- Good penalty kill there. Not even a shot allowed!
- HOW DID THAT GO IN?? Away, WHO CARES. GOAL ECONOMOS.
- Walters did not miss that net by very much short-handed.
- Back to the power play Utah goes.
- Nantel’s hat trick bid didn’t miss by much.
- Anderson and Moroz tangle.
- Anderson with a big hit, Nantel with a nice rush up the ice, and the crowd appreciates both.
- The Grizzlies have had a couple of really long delayed power plays this game.
- WALTERS CAPITALIZES ON SOME BEAUTIFUL PASSING FROM HENKE AND NANTEL.
- Grizzlies win 4-1!!
Anderson had a very good game defensively, and was named defenseman of the game, while Nantel (2G, 1A), Dickinson (2A), and Economos (1G) were the game’s three stars, though Ryan Walters (1G, 1A) could easily have be named one of the stars as well.
Additionally as mentioned, Downing and Boikov are both going to be great additions to the Grizzlies for however long they’re here. Downing is a very good two-way forward, and as mentioned, Boikov is polished and quite defensively sound. Carr went 19/20 for his 15th win of the year, and the Grizzlies are now tied with Idaho for first in the Mountain.
These two teams will face off two more times this weekend on Friday and Saturday in the continued battle for divisional supremacy.
Photo courtesy of Action Sports Photography.