On a snowy Wednesday night after a lengthy road trip, the Grizzlies got a number of reinforcements from Colorado to bolster a very injury depleted roster. Forward Grayson Downing and defenseman Sergei Boikov made their Utah debuts, while Julien Nantel returned as well. Kevin Carr made the start against the Idaho Steelheads.
- Downing looks like he’s gonna be fun to have around.
- Nantel wastes no time at all getting back on the board! 1-0 Utah 2:09 in from Turner Ottenbreit and Josh Dickinson!
- Getting two penalties together is not ideal. Good kill though.
- The beginning of that power play started well. It did not end that way though.
- Well, we get a redo!
- Jake Marchment did not miss that tip in by much.
- Teigan Zahn to the box with about six to go. Utah did a good job giving the Steelheads trouble getting out of the zone.
- Idaho ties it up and Zahn and Keegan Kanzig drop the gloves.
- Josh Anderson has had a couple of nice defensive moves this period.
- Shots are 12-6 for Utah, but we’re tied 1-1.
- Power play Utah 17 seconds in.
- Liking Boikov’s play. Very calm and polished.
- Not a great power play so far. Not a lot of urgency, and Idaho has two shots to Utah’s one thus far.
- Very nice move by Richart to take away the puck just above the blue paint.
- Another pair of nice plays by Anderson. He’s looking very good.
- Not wild about how much defensive zone time there has been in the first five minutes.
- Yeesh, that was close.
- The second half of this period has been much better for Utah.
- THAT’S TWO FOR NANTEL!! Walters with the pass from the boards to give the Grizzlies a 2-1 lead on the power play! Dickinson gets the second assist!
- Both 11s run afoul of each other. Looked like Richart might have gotten clipped in the face by Dahl’s skate.
- Kanzig looks like he’s trying to take on Ottenbreit and Anderson at the same time there.
- Good penalty kill there. Not even a shot allowed!
- HOW DID THAT GO IN?? Away, WHO CARES. GOAL ECONOMOS.
- Walters did not miss that net by very much short-handed.
- Back to the power play Utah goes.
- Nantel’s hat trick bid didn’t miss by much.
- Anderson and Moroz tangle.
- Anderson with a big hit, Nantel with a nice rush up the ice, and the crowd appreciates both.
- The Grizzlies have had a couple of really long delayed power plays this game.
- WALTERS CAPITALIZES ON SOME BEAUTIFUL PASSING FROM HENKE AND NANTEL.
- Grizzlies win 4-1!!
Anderson had a very good game defensively, and was named defenseman of the game, while Nantel (2G, 1A), Dickinson (2A), and Economos (1G) were the game’s three stars, though Ryan Walters (1G, 1A) could easily have be named one of the stars as well.
Additionally as mentioned, Downing and Boikov are both going to be great additions to the Grizzlies for however long they’re here. Downing is a very good two-way forward, and as mentioned, Boikov is polished and quite defensively sound. Carr went 19/20 for his 15th win of the year, and the Grizzlies are now tied with Idaho for first in the Mountain.
These two teams will face off two more times this weekend on Friday and Saturday in the continued battle for divisional supremacy.
Photo courtesy of Action Sports Photography.
With the returns of Kevin Davis and Joe Cannata, the blue line got a bit crowded, and possibly as a result, Nolan De Jong sat this one out.
- Good start for Utah, equally good start for Evan Fitzpatrick, unfortunately.
- Fortunately, Cannata is looking good too.
- Breakaway for Herbert, Fitzpatrick makes the save. Again.
- That was a very nice move by Carroll to keep the puck in the offensive zone.
- Tim Mcgauley clearly has some beef against Tulsa! His second fight of the season comes against Alex Kromm! He had not yet begun to fight, but the refs break it up.
- The play is quite physical already.
- Tulsa has put their foot down, and has doubled up on shots in the back half of this period.
- MARCHY ON THE POWER PLAY.
- Good first period for Utah, despite getting outshot 12-5. Cannata definitely has had to be sharp.
- Good kill to open the period. McGauley, especially, was strong.
- …Well…that’s not a great goal.
- 15-5 are the shots for Tulsa, that’s not ideal either.
- Between Walker’s wheels, and some saves by Cannata, we’ve got another good kill.
- Shots are now 20-8 for Tulsa…They’ve been able to set up in Utah’s zone for long stretches throughout the game.
- Cannata is still looking strong, which is probably why this game is still tied.
- Taylor, the puck is supposed to go into the net, not you!
- Another good penalty kill to end a period.
- Cannata turns aside a short-handed odd-man rush.
- That’s the second power play Ottenbreit has drawn this game.
- Josh Anderson scores his first pro goal to put the Grizzlies up 2-1!!
- Marchment is a fight away from a Gordie Howe hat trick, and McGauley just needs a goal for one.
- Everyone from both sides is falling over in the Utah end. Turns out ice is super slippery! XD
- Oilers’ net is empty…
- Oh Richart did NOT miss the empty net by much.
- GRIZZLIES WIN 2-1!!!
Jake Marchment and Joe Cannata were named first and second star of the game. Utah looks to complete the visit with a sweep before heading to Wichita.
Photo courtesy of Tim Broussard and staff.
For the first time in quite a while, the Grizzlies iced 16 skaters with Nolan De Jong, Josh Anderson, and Turner Ottenbreit all in the lineup. Joe Cannata got the start against Cincinnati, who have a number of former Grizzlies: Nate Mitton, Mitch Jones, and Eric Knodel.
- Couple of great looks for the Grizzlies early.
- Cannata misplays the puck and Cinci strikes first. In Cannata’s defense, he hasn’t played in quite a while.
- Aaaand now Walters to the box. This is definitely not ideal.
- Oh that was some sweet, sweet passing leading to Henke’s eleventh goal, and on the power play!
- Some pushing and shoving leads to offsetting minors to Ottenbreit and Boomhower.
- Lots of space here on the ice now that we’re four-on-three.
- That is a GLORIOUS way to break the slump!! Walters with a very nice goal two-on-one with Richart.
- So many penalties in this game.
- 2-1 lead, shots 11-8 for us. A good start.
- Aaaand we’re tied again.
- That was a very nice look from McGauley.
- WHY would you start a shoving match in front of Cannata with Ottenbreit, Carroll, and Zahn standing right there? That seems like a bad idea!
- Ausmus is having another strong game.
- Economos gets run over and Josh Anderson takes exception, dropping the gloves with Justin Vaive.
- This felt like a fairly uneventful period, even with the goal and the fight.
- I SPOKE TOO SOON. I’M SO SORRY.
- This was not ideal.
- 3-2 after two.
- Walker got the first shot of the period just 12 seconds in, and no one else has got one in the next 4+ minutes.
- Fight number two of the game goes to Carroll and Arvin Atwal who started a fight behind the play.
- Aaaand we have another fight. Barron drops the gloves with Aquin this time.
- Half a period to go, each team has only got one shot this period.
- Considering the Grizzlies trail by one, we’re gonna need some more shots…
- TIM MCGAULEY WITH A TERRIFIC SHOT.
- And boy did that wake up both teams.
- Well, regulation solves nothing!
- Cincinnati has all four shots in OT so far…
- Fortunately Cannata has been SOLID in extra time.
- That was a nice spinning shot from Walters.
- That was an irritatingly good save from Houser.
- Round 1
- Round 2
- Round 3
- WALKER GOES BAR DOWN!! He’s making quite a habit of winning shots!
- CANNATA WITH THE SAVE!!
- 4-3 GRIZZLIES!!!
Walker’s game winner earned him first star, Cincinnati’s Mike Marnell got second star, And Walters took third star with a goal and an assist.
The Grizzlies considered this meeting against the best team in the conference a “measuring stick game”. Considering it took a shoot-out to break the deadlock, and that the shots were a very close 36-32 for Utah, it would seem that they measure up very well. Utah remains on top of the Mountain Division, and holds games in hand on all of their division rivals. It might not have been the most dazzling game the Grizzlies have played this season, but they got the job done, and that’s what matters.
They will now head out to Wheeling for Friday’s game.