For the first time in quite a while, the Grizzlies iced 16 skaters with Nolan De Jong, Josh Anderson, and Turner Ottenbreit all in the lineup. Joe Cannata got the start against Cincinnati, who have a number of former Grizzlies: Nate Mitton, Mitch Jones, and Eric Knodel.
- Couple of great looks for the Grizzlies early.
- Cannata misplays the puck and Cinci strikes first. In Cannata’s defense, he hasn’t played in quite a while.
- Aaaand now Walters to the box. This is definitely not ideal.
- Oh that was some sweet, sweet passing leading to Henke’s eleventh goal, and on the power play!
- Some pushing and shoving leads to offsetting minors to Ottenbreit and Boomhower.
- Lots of space here on the ice now that we’re four-on-three.
- That is a GLORIOUS way to break the slump!! Walters with a very nice goal two-on-one with Richart.
- So many penalties in this game.
- 2-1 lead, shots 11-8 for us. A good start.
- Aaaand we’re tied again.
- That was a very nice look from McGauley.
- WHY would you start a shoving match in front of Cannata with Ottenbreit, Carroll, and Zahn standing right there? That seems like a bad idea!
- Ausmus is having another strong game.
- Economos gets run over and Josh Anderson takes exception, dropping the gloves with Justin Vaive.
- This felt like a fairly uneventful period, even with the goal and the fight.
- I SPOKE TOO SOON. I’M SO SORRY.
- This was not ideal.
- 3-2 after two.
- Walker got the first shot of the period just 12 seconds in, and no one else has got one in the next 4+ minutes.
- Fight number two of the game goes to Carroll and Arvin Atwal who started a fight behind the play.
- Aaaand we have another fight. Barron drops the gloves with Aquin this time.
- Half a period to go, each team has only got one shot this period.
- Considering the Grizzlies trail by one, we’re gonna need some more shots…
- TIM MCGAULEY WITH A TERRIFIC SHOT.
- And boy did that wake up both teams.
- Well, regulation solves nothing!
- Cincinnati has all four shots in OT so far…
- Fortunately Cannata has been SOLID in extra time.
- That was a nice spinning shot from Walters.
- That was an irritatingly good save from Houser.
- Round 1
- Round 2
- Round 3
- WALKER GOES BAR DOWN!! He’s making quite a habit of winning shots!
- CANNATA WITH THE SAVE!!
- 4-3 GRIZZLIES!!!
Walker’s game winner earned him first star, Cincinnati’s Mike Marnell got second star, And Walters took third star with a goal and an assist.
The Grizzlies considered this meeting against the best team in the conference a “measuring stick game”. Considering it took a shoot-out to break the deadlock, and that the shots were a very close 36-32 for Utah, it would seem that they measure up very well. Utah remains on top of the Mountain Division, and holds games in hand on all of their division rivals. It might not have been the most dazzling game the Grizzlies have played this season, but they got the job done, and that’s what matters.
They will now head out to Wheeling for Friday’s game.