In game two of the Tulsa series, and the battle for second place in the Mountain Division, the roster remained the same, as did the lines.
- Eric Freschi getting manhandled in the corner, not sure it’s penalty worthy, but not sure it’s not penalty worthy…
- Ick. Not sure about that defensive coverage there. 1-0 Tulsa.
- Good response from Utah though. Strong shift in the offensive zone.
- Taylor Richart with a nice move to strip the puck from an Oilers player and start a rush up ice.
- Josh Dickinson draws a power play!
- MCGAULEY GOAL!! Fitzpatrick bit on Caleb Herbert, and Tim McGauley made good on the cross-crease pass.
- Teigan Zahn taking his sweeeeeeet time behind the Utah net, haha.
- Another Utah power play, but it’s negated.
- Jake Marchment and Ryan Walters counter-punching short-handed is always great to see.
- Taylor Richart is free with no official shots allowed on the PK!
- Mike Economos with the hustle.
- They’ve flipped the script in shots tonight, sort of. After 20 shots are 20-7 for the Grizzlies, score 1-1.
- LOTS OF PENALTIES.
- Or just one. That’s anticlimactic. On the other hand, we’ll take the power play.
- Austin Carroll doing what he does best, creating chaos. A little too much chaos there though, and he’s off to the box.
- Jack Walker to the room. That’s not a good sign. Hopefully he’s back for the third…
- Carroll drops the gloves with Scott Moldenhauer!
- Dickinson draws a double minor.
- Herbert takes a roughing call after a kerfuffle around the Tulsa net.
- Marchy doing what he does best, scoring on Tulsa. It was a very nice backhand.
- Utah’s been pretty aggressive overall so far.
- Another power play drawn by Dickinson.
- Richart falls over, and still makes the play.
- You get a high-stick, you get a high-stick! EVERYBODY GETS A HIGH-STICK!
- ECONOMOS WITH A BREAKAWAY. No goal, but he does draw another power play.
- Oh geez. Short-handed goal for Tulsa ties it up.
- And the Oilers are pressing.
- I swear, every game Economos seems to have gotten a step or two faster.
- ERIC GIVES US A FRESCHI LEAD.
- (Sorry, so not sorry)
- Oh god. Cannata…be ok…
- At the very least, Cannata is hockey ok, so that’s good news.
- Walters with the latest of a series of good shots he’s had this game.
- RICHART SCORES.
- Wait. No he doesn’t. And Zahn is down, and Zahn takes a penalty. WHAT EVEN IS HAPPENING.
- And now Richart for delay of game.
- Internal screaming.
- Empty net for Tulsa…
- More internal screaming.
- Marchment with the face-off win, Ausmus with the clear…
- EMPTY NETTER FOR JAKE.
- GRIZZLIES WIN 4-2!!!
Freschi (the game winning goal and six shots) and Herbert (two assists, six shots) were named first and second stars of the game, though Marchment certainly could have been a star as well, what with his two goals (granted, one into an empty net), and several crucial late-game face-offs. Cannata also played well, making 25/27 saves. Utah now stands tied with the Oilers for second in the division, though they hold four games in hand on their rival. They trail Idaho by only one point, and have a game in hand on them as well.
Now the Grizzlies head to Wichita for the final two games of the road trip.
Photo courtesy of Josh Pinnau.
After getting a bit of a break after playing four games in six days, the Grizzlies headed out on the road to face C.J. Eick and the Kansas City Mavericks. Josh Dickinson and Kevin Davis returned to the lineup, as did Ryan Walters, while Kevin Carr got the start after Joe Cannata was recalled to the Eagles. These additions meant that Mike Economos and Joey Raats both sat, and Carr was backed up by Christian Frey.
- Dickinson jumps right in and makes his presence felt!!! 1-0 Utah, barely two minutes in!
- It’s been a good start overall so far. Shots are 6-2 with less than six gone.
- Carr looking calm, cool, and collected as per.
- Good puck possession too.
- WALKER WITH THE WHEELS! Oh, and nice pass from Dickinson too!
- Herbert is looking good, and it’s sure nice to have Davis back!
- Pretty sure it’s clear how everyone should feel about having Dickinson back.
- It’s been a very quick, clean first period so far. Not a lot of whistles.
- Big save by Carr there on the three-on-one.
- First power play of the night goes to us!
- That was a very good first period. Shots 12-9 for the Grizzlies.
- The speed of C.J. Eick puts the Mavericks offside.
- HERBERT! Caleb scores his third goal in two games, and we’re up 3-0 3:31 into the second!
- A little bit of zone time for the Mavs, but it’s not leading to much for them.
- Freschi almost had one there against his former team.
- There are sticks and gloves all over the Grizzlies’ zone, and Carr makes some big saves.
- Mavericks are definitely pushing back. They have four shots to Utah’s two since Herbert’s goal.
- Oooh McGauley did not miss by much there.
- De Jong goes down hard, but despite the crowd that gathers, no penalties.
- And then Marchment draws a power play! Four shots for the Grizzlies, but no goals on the advantage yet tonight.
- Another Utah power play! Why do I have the horrible feeling that all these power plays going our way are going to come back to haunt us at some point in the very near future…
- FRESCHI ON THE POWER PLAY! Gotta love that he scored his first goal with Utah against his former team.
- Carr with a very big save at the end of the period.
- It’s been a really good 40 minutes. Here’s to an even better final 20.
- Tyson acknowledging those of us who get really cagy if you mention the thing that goalies can get before the game is over…which might be just as bad as saying the word…
- CARROLL!!! Ooh it was a pretty one too. Marchment gets his second assist.
- No babies in the refrigerator this time. 🤣
- If they play all the rest of this game in the other end, they can’t ruin Carr’s…accomplishment-that-must-not-be-named, right?
- There is a LOT of time left in this game…
- Tempers fraying just a little bit. Not much though. It’s been a surprisingly penalty free game.
- And the Mavs are spending more time in our zone… (Not that they’re doing much with it at the moment, but still.)
- Of COURSE it’s Eick who ruins Carr’s shutout. Of course it is.
- I’m definitely blaming this on Tyson, and not the defensemen who were nowhere to be seen.
- This is what I call the Harry Potter scenario. Eick scores, but the Grizzlies win.
- Walters takes the first penalty of the night for Utah with 4:21 to go.
- Grizzlies definitely in turtle mode. Shots are 10-3 for KC on the period.
- Doesn’t matter though!!
- GRIZZLIES WIN 5-1!!
- Definitely a stylish beginning to the road trip.
Kevin Carr went 25/26 and was named first star of the game, while Josh Dickinson (1G, 1A) and Jack Walker (1G, 1A) were also outstanding, and Austin Carroll picked up his fourth point in two games, also collecting a goal and an assist. Marchment picked up two assists, and Caleb Herbert now has six points in the last four games, and scored his 22nd goal in 30 games.
The Grizzlies will look to continue this success in tonight’s rematch against the Mavericks.
Photo courtesy of Tim Broussard, Jess Fleming and staff.