Coming out of a terrific first game of the playoffs, the Grizzlies look to hold off what is no doubt going to be a cranky and determined Idaho team. The roster remained the same, as did the starting lineup and the goaltender–after all, why mess with success?
- Couple of quick saves for Kevin Carr in the first two minutes. And by a couple, we mean six.
- Teigan Zahn looks to be playing forward so far, and there appears to be no Grayson Downing, though he’s listed in the lineup.
- Grizzlies get their first shot short-handed. Because of course they do!
- Idaho strikes first on the power play with just four seconds left.
- Shots are 10-1 for Idaho, which isn’t ideal, but certainly has been something of a normal thing lately.
- MICHAEL ECONOMOS TIES IT UP!
- App says Josh Dickinson, but everyone is pretty sure it was Economos…
- Herbert to the box.
- Herbert’s penalty killed.
- Oh lord, Austin Carroll is down, and really slow to get up. Think he’s fine though.
- Travis Barron and Robbie Payne drop the gloves with five seconds to go.
- After 20 we’re once again tied 1-1, shots 13-6 for Idaho.
- Ty Lewis draws a power play!
- …Definitely not accustomed to seeing Jake Marchment absolutely dwarfed by an opponent…But that would be Keegan Kanzig for you!
- Carr with a big save on a short-handed breakaway.
- And that right there is why Caleb Herbert was on the All-ECHL First Team. 2-1 Utah on the power play!
- Elgin Pearce gets another chance short-handed. That’s not at all concerning or anything.
- There was SO much traffic, but somehow Carr saw the shot!
- Pearce and Gage Ausmus to the box for unsportsmanlike conduct, even though the two of them were among the least involved of anyone in that crowd! 😂
- Pearce AGAIN short-handed. But Carr’s been there to meet him every time.
- Haha Henrik Samuelsson was looking at the play, and missed the door being open for a second or two there!
- The best chance on the Utah power play went to Idaho, the best chance on the Idaho power play went to Utah.
- OH MY STARS. kEVIN. What. A. Save.
- Oh god, let Carr be ok let Carr be ok…
- Ok. He seems to be alright…We can stop freaking out now…
- Pearce gets a five minute charging major, Ottenbreit and Kanzig get two minutes each for unsportsmanlike conduct.
- 2-1 Utah after 40, shots 26-23 for Idaho.
- 3:31 of power play time to begin.
- Nothing doing on the man-advantage. Carr made some good saves right off the face-off.
- Oh great. Zahn is skating off holding his face. Not good.
- That was a very pretty toe-drag from Carroll. Unfortunately, Brady Norrish got a piece of it.
- Zahn’s back. Not sure if he even missed a shift!
- Really physical game. Guys are taking a beating entirely separate from all the shots they’re diving in front of.
- Carr with another BIG save.
- This is definitely far more the kind of game expected from these two teams. Close, and ferocious.
- Uhg. Samuelsson ties it up with 9:30 ish to go.
- Tomas Sholl with a big save on Barron.
- Josh Anderson and Carroll with a flurry of chances around the net.
- Speaking of Anderson, he appears to be playing forward now while Zahn’s back on defense.
- After a wild second period, the third was far quieter.
- Wouldn’t be playoff hockey if there wasn’t OT, I guess!
- Shots 40-34 for Idaho, tied 2-2.
- Nice takeaway from Anderson in the offensive zone there.
- Good zone time in general in the first minute.
- Make that the first three minutes. Which probably means that Idaho will win. Because the hockey gods are fickle.
- Three minutes later and shots are now 3-3.
- That was quite the wild bounce off the glass!
- Kessy wins it 7:56 into OT. (Seriously, why is it always Kessy??)
- The Grizz return home with the series tied 1-1.
Whether it was Dickinson or Economos who scored the first goal, both had strong games, Dickinson adding at yet more points to his collection as well as six shots. Lewis was also continually in the thick of things also putting up six shots. Carr also had a strong game, making 42/45 saves. As fun as the 7-1 thrashing was, this is far more the kind of game this rivalry series promised, what with the tight score, the general dislike, and everything that comes with a meeting between these two bitter foes.
Game 3 takes place on Wednesday night when playoff hockey arrives at the Maverik Center.
- First Period: Dickinson (Richart)
- Second Period: Herbert (Davis, Dickinson)
- Third Period: None
UTA: 1/6 (19 PIM)
IDH: 1/6 (24 PIM)
Photo courtesy of Rob Church.
If you like the work I do on the blog, please consider supporting me by buying me a coffee via the button below, or consider becoming a patron!