In their final meeting of the season against the Allen Americans, the Grizzlies hoped to get the win to take the season series. Cole Ully remained out of the lineup, and with Duggie Lagrone released, Josh Anderson returned to action while Joe Cannata got the start.
- Well, the bad blood boiled over right off the face-off! Joey Ratelle drops the gloves with Jacob Doty!
- AAAAND now Verpaelst drops the gloves with Curt Gogol!
- And two more penalties for Allen and Utah! There have been more penalties than shots so far.
- The latest player to head to the box is Braylon Shmyr. Still scoreless with 9:30 to go.
- Good possession on the PP, but no threat at all.
- O CAPTAIN, OUR CAPTAIN! 1-0 Utah!!
- There are now as many shots as penalties this period. (Utah holds the slim edge, outshooting Allen 4-3 with 3:30 to go.)
- Another scuffle after a whistle, and another penalty for Allen!
- 1-0 for Utah after 20, shots 6-4 in their favor!
- The period opens with 1:57 or so of power play time!
- Allen’s PK looking better than Utah’s PP, but Ottenbreit has the only shot.
- Allen has the zone, but the Utah shot-blockers are keeping them from reaching Cannata.
- This power play would be a really, really good time to double up the lead…
- Well, it didn’t, but they do now outshoot Allen 12-4.
- AAAAAAAnd Allen scores. Like I said, getting a power play goal would have been kind of big…
- Holy CANNATA. HOW did Joe save that???? Pochiro thought he scored, the fans thought he scored I thought he scored!!!
- Ok, this would be another really good time to score that power play goal…
- The most unfortunate thing about this whole situation is that Utah’s playing pretty well, getting all the power play opportunities, and outshooting Allen 13-5, and yet we’re tied 1-1. Because of course Allen scored on their only shot this period.
- OTTENBREIT GETS HIS 11TH!! I think Turner heard me. Richart and Lewis get the assists on the go-ahead goal.
- Penalty on Zahn.
- DOESN’T MATTER. The speed of Jack Walker sets up Mitch Maxwell for a shorty!!!
- Just like that, and Utah’s looking great.
- Oh boy, Ryan Galt got hit and got up really slowly. The boys aren’t happy about it. Pochiro and Gogol both get ten minute misconducts, and Shmyr gets two for kneeing.
- At the end of 40, Utah leads 3-1, shots 16-7 in their favor.
- Allen returns to full strength.
- JK no they don’t. Or rather, they do but they then head straight back to the box on a cross-check on Walker.
- Another big save by Cannata.
- Welp, this is gonna be a very important kill.
- Uhg. 3-2 on the advantage.
- The Grizzlies creating chaos though!
- …I do not know why Ty Lewis was awarded a penalty shot, BUT WHO CARES!!! HE SCORES HIS FIRST FOR UTAH!
- Allen is very not happy about the situation.
- And they get it back on the power play through traffic.
- Another big kill coming up…the others haven’t gone so well, so this is concerning.
- Excellent kill.
- The amount of time left on the clock with a one goal lead is nerve inducing.
- Empty net for Allen with a minute to go…
- Allen calls their time out. It’s moments like this when I especially miss Jake Marchment…
- It’s a really good thing I don’t bite my nails, because moments like these would cause me to completely ruin them…
- Fun fact, Gogol spent nearly a whole period in the penalty box this game.
- EMPTY NET GOAL FOR LEWIS!!!
- Grizz win 5-3 thanks to power play, penalty kill, penalty shot, even strength, and empty net goals!!
- First Period: Zahn (Maxwell, Ausmus)
- Second Period: Ottenbreit (Richart, Lewis) (PP), Maxwell (Walker, Anderson) (SH)
- Third Period: Lewis (PS), Lewis (Walters) (EN)
Photo courtesy of Action Sports Photography.
If you like the work I do on the blog, please consider supporting me by buying me a coffee via the button below, or consider becoming a patron!